Study Permit needed for online courses?

The Question

Do I need a Study Permit in Canada if I am currently working and would like to complete some online licensing courses required for the positions I want? The program is called Chartered Investment Manager offered by the Canadian Securities Institute.

Polestar's response

What an interesting question. The short answer is no, you do not.

In general, you need a Study Permit if you plan to study for more than six months, even if you already have a Work Permit. However, there are a number of exceptions that you can read on the Study Permit Application Guide.

If you look at it another way, you can see that it would not be possible to get a Study Permit for this course. You can only get a Study Permit to enrol at a Designated Learning Institution. The Canadian Securities Institute is not on the list of Designated Learning Institutions published by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. Also, you cannot get a Study Permit to do a program that is exclusively online. Since it isn’t possible to get a Study Permit for this course, it would be illogical to require one.

Polestar has a page that summarizes Study Permit issues, as well as a page that focuses on issues specific to the Post-Graduation Work Permit.

Answered by Kelly Toughill, RCIC on October 23, 2017 Kelly Toughill, RCIC

Have a question for our team? Submit it here.

The Ask Us! feature describes current law, regulation and best practice but does not offer personal legal advice. It is unethical to offer immigration advice without detailed knowledge of a person’s personal history and status in Canada. Immigration law changes frequently, so we regularly delete past answers to make sure this site is current.

This feature is an addition that can be added to your basic membership. It is for the use of international students, not professional advisers. Polestar reserves the right to revoke the subscription of members who appear to be using this service for commercial use or sharing this service with non-members.

The mandate of Polestar Student Immigration Network is to help international students navigate Canadian immigration issues. The Ask Us! feature does not answer questions about family sponsorship programs, caregiver programs, temporary foreign worker programs that are not directly related to international students, or detailed issues of inadmissibility.